That one time I had no obligations for 4 weeks was pretty fantastic.
Wow, this past month was a freakin BLAST! It was sooo nice not having any obligations or responsibilities for 4 weeks. My typical day consisted of waking up and either going to my spinning class, playing racquetball, or going to the lake. Then I would work on stuff for my mom, work on videos, run errans, make healthy yummy food, and clean! It was great. Few highlights were first of all I got called to be on the ASU Institute Council and at first I didn't think it would be too time consuming, and I would just have to be nice to everyone and encourage them to go to institute and plan some activities. Boy was I WRONG! This is going to be a calling that pushes me to my limits and makes me step outside of my comfort zone, along with being at the Institute Building every Monday morning at 6 am. YIKES! During the last 3 weeks of summer it worked out perfectly that I didn't have a job so I could fully dedicate my time into calling people to enroll in Institute and film the welcome video for the semester and edit it and attend all the pre-meetings. I had an incredible experience the Monday before school started with the institute council. We all had to meet at the building at 4am to leave to hike "A" Mountain. Of course I woke up at 3:55 but I was prepared by going to bed in what I was wearing that day so I brushed my teeth and put my shoes on and was out the door by 4:02. Crazy right? I sped there and got there at 4:20 which was just in time to catch them walking out the door. Brother Calton is a man full of so much knowledge and he shared with us some of the important meanings of certain buildings and how 17 of the 33 graduates of the original first class of ASU were LDS and how this campus has some deep roots to the LDS faith. He then let the previous council members take over and we had some more fun facts/spiritual thoughts as we hiked up. Once we got to the top the sun started to rise and we got to witness the incredible view of it all. At the top we wrote a Thank You card to anyone we wanted and then wrote down our goals we had for ourselves for the semester. It was such a humbling, and uplifting experience. I can't even put into words how incredible it was hearing past council members experience's and testimonies because of this calling. I am looking forward to pushing myself into becoming a better disciple of Christ and reaching out to the ONE who needs my friendship and love the most. After that we got IHop and then had another 2 hour meeting to discuss business and such.
The weekend before that, Mr. Clint Brady was in town and we planned a Roosevelt Lake Overnight Trip. It was Hayley, Tyler, Cece, Austin, Clint and I. We left Friday morning and arrived to the lake with NO ONE ON IT! We had smooth glassy water! It seems unreal. We all had some great runs and were able to dodge a storm and surfed and ate dinner on the boat enjoying the sunset. We loaded up the boat and went to our campsite and made a fire for smore's and story telling. Clint and I came across a Tarantula that night and it freaked us out and definitely didn't help with falling asleep! Saturday we were on the water by 9am and surprisingly enough we had good water even though there were people there. I had a great first run to a Paramore song and she gave me the confidence I needed to not let go of the rope! Haha it was a great feeling.
After we were done for the day we headed home and about 35 minutes from home Clint's car starts to overheat while were climbing uphill. He pushes it to mile marker 206 and then decides we have to stop. We sit and all look at each other like welp this is great iys 111 degrees outside. We figure out the car ran out of coolant and we were told to let it cool off for 40 minutes then put water into it and try again. We turn the car on and the temperature gage is back down to normal and we get excited and start moving and it shoots right back up there so after a 100 yards we stop again. We all get out since were burning up from the sun. Clint calls their car guy and he says he will come save us and bring coolant. About 30 minutes later we have an idea that if maybe all of us get out of the car that's like 700 pounds less the car has to pull. the 5 of us are on the street and we see Clint try one more push and he starts going and gets farther this go around and we're all cheering from the sideline saying don't stop, you can make it up this hill! Keep going! Sure enough once he gets to the very top and end of the shoulder area the car poops out. We were so hopeful to get over this hill and to just coast all the way home downhill. About 45 minutes after that last try our Rescue Team came! It was so great to hear that horn honk and see the car flip around to come to us. The guy put the coolant in the car and it worked like a champ and we made it home. Those were a very long two hours in the blazing heat but luckily everyone was very positive and we kept saying what are we supposed to learn from this? We pulled apart a few things and just had some more bonding.
That night I rushed home to shower and get ready to go to Jense's reception and then the girls and I went to a free Trapeze show which was so legit! I definitely want to take lessons and perform in a show once I have money again!
Next fun adventure was going to Box Canyon Hike up by Payson with my highland friends! We left Monday night around 9pm set up camp that night and told funny stories and what not! Those boys are so much fun and hilarious to be around. We didn't fall asleep until like 3 am under the stars and since I woke up at 4am that morning for the Institute Hike I slept like a champ in the woods. We woke up and smelled the sausage and egg burritos Jackson so kindly made for us and they were fantastic! We packed up, lathered up, and headed to the hiking spot. It was about a mile deep into the woods and then we hit the water and began. It was a sweet hike and reminded me of the one I did at Pine Ridge in Belize. The whole time your just climbing through and over rocks that are in the river bed and then occasionally cliff jumping when it was deep enough. One of the kids, Bryce, was crazy and would do flips and gainers in all different spots. At the end there is a 60 foot high cliff to jump off of and he did a gainer his first time, then DOUBLE backflip, then on the other side a superman dive flip! It was so legit! I'm glad he came to provide us with that entertainment. We headed home after that and played some Mario Cart on the DS and jammed to tunes in the car. Defnitley a trip I will always remember and I plan on doing that hike again someday.
Tuesday was my dads birthday so I decided to throw him a surprise party! Me being gone the night before and all day Tuesday definitely threw him off and he thought he was going to dinner with Martha, Terry, and mom and so I had Bromley take him golfing from 4:30-6:30 and when he came home he was defnitley surprised! We had a great turn out and everyone enjoyed the food and company! Wednesday I babysat and went to the lake with Tanner & Daniela, Fonz, Alyssa, Sarah and Danny and it was so fun to be back with part of the gang! Then that night I went to the ASU passport thing to be a rep at the LDSSA booth and let people know about institute classes and free parking!
Friday Fonz, Alyssa, Sarah and I headed up to Flagstaff to Tanner Nelsons Ranch for one last hurrah before school started and we had a blast!! We grabbed some Cheba Hut in town and then took a couple detours to get to the cabin but we made it! There was just the 5 of us until like 10pm when the others got there and we danced, played games, and kind of got a little crazy! I was so happy that Sarah and I are a lot a like and felt like we bonded this trip! I love that she will dance ridiculous with me! We greeted all the strangers as they came in by awkward dancing and the attacked Haley because we were so excited to see her. That night was fun and we hung out by the fire and hammock and THEN the best part of the whole trip.
The other 26 people wanted to watch a scary movie, but Haley, Sarah, Parker and I were like NO, we wanna do something active and fun how bout a prank. We were racking our brains of doing something harmless but still funny and the only thing we could come up with was hiding everyone's shoes all over the house. Then we thought hmmm what if we forget where we hide some of them... that wouldn't be good. We then said lets just hide them all in the same place. We were able to get all the back door shoes easily because everyone was facing the front watching the movie. We took them all and put them in the hammock. We then had to figure out how to get all the shoes at the front door where all the people are looking towards. We walked in and grabbed like 2 shoes and took them out and realized we couldn't do that for the other 18 shoes that were up there. We went around back again analyzing the situation trying to figure out how to get the rest of the shoes outside. I then had a brilliant idea to crawl under the shuffle board table that is literally the entire length of the room and the end of it was right in front of the shoes. It was so perfect. I army crawled the whole way down and took a break at the end and pretended to watch the movie in case anyone saw me they wouldn't think I was completely weird. Casually I start grabbing shoes and putting them behind me to take back. After about 5 shoes I think "How am I going to get all of these shoes back there? It's going to take multiple trips" I pull out my phone and text my team and say, "Hey I need an assembly line to get all these shoes back, come help" I waited for about 2 minutes and BAM I feel Sarah behind me and hear her giggling. But it turns out they didn't even see my text, they just thought of that themselves too. (You could say we were on the same frequency) I started dying laughing and began throwin shoes back to her to give to Haley to give to Parker. Then when I was reaching too far to get some of the last shoes I pulled the cord out on accident of the projector screen so it goes out and its completely dark. I freeze and think, oh crap they are going to come over her to plug it back in and see all of us with all these shoes. This could get awkward. I frantically put the cord back in and the projector still isn't on because they have to turn it on with the switch now. I took advantage of this darkness and began chucking shoes back to Sarah and by the time they turned it back on I only had 2 shoes left. All the shoes were gone and Parker had put them in the Hammock and the 4 of us died laughing for a good solid 10 minutes. We couldn't believe we did the assembly line to get the shoes! It wasn't even that good of a prank put the process of how we did it, was what killed us! Ah love those goofballs.
We didn't end up going to bed until 4 am and we woke up to getting shot at by Tanner and another boy with Nerf Guns and mine was straight in the eye. I was not happy with Tanner one bit. Saturday we ate food, played Catch Phrase, Telephone Charades, shuffle board and went on a nature walk. It was so so great and the most perfect way to end my last weekend before the internship.
That night we had a surprise party for Alex Fielding in my backyard and it was another successful surprise! Anyways I am so incredibly grateful for the time I had all to myself this past month and being able to relax, and get caught up on life, and do fun things because I know I will probably never have a solid straight month to do nothing ever again in my life. I am so grateful for how well my Heavenly Father knows me and my needs and makes things possible in my life that I never thought could happen. I seriously feel like the luckiest girl in the world right now!
Comments
Post a Comment