Now What?
This past month has been different and not quite what I was expecting. This whole semester I had been working hard for ADI and with the hope that they would hire me on after the internship was over. They had been telling me multiple times that they love me and are trying to get a position open to keep me here for good. Having that said I was kind of banking of getting hired post graduation. Well a couple weeks ago Sue took me to lunch to inform me that they actually do not have a position available because Hotel Site Select has not taken off as fast as they were hoping and they will not have the money to pay me. I was pretty upset and sad because I really LOVE this business, and the other employees are so good to me, and I was already making my future plans to be with them. That lunch meeting was not the happiest, and I was pretty down the next week or so. Many thoughts began to run through my head about being jobless, and how am I going to pay off my loans, and where should I apply now? Not many people want recent graduates they all want someone with experience. For the next week I was applying to a ton of jobs and it was very draining! Filling out application after application takes a lot out of you. I hate it. I applied to be a country director in FIJI through Help-International for January- April but Whitney & MJ are getting married in March so I had to turn down the interviews. I was pretty bummed. They asked about summer but Trennon comes home in June so I didn't want to miss that either. After that I took it as a sign MAYBE HF just wants me to stay put for now. Who knows what he has up his sleeves for me.Anyways, Cindy then came into the office and gave me about 8 different DMC's and other contacts for me to try to see if they are hiring! I received a lot of no's that they were not hiring, and a few maybes, then finally 1 said they would like to interview me! I went last Wednesday to interview with Hello! Arizona which is a DMC in Scottsdale. I thought it went okay and it seemed like a great company to work for. The only thing I was not too happy about was the drive. It's on the 101 and Via de Ventura :( Wahhh. Anyways, Jessica also called me last week saying that they need someone to replace her at Papa Johns Food Services (office that sends all the dough and toppings out to all the Papa Johns in the southwest region). Yesterday, before I went over to PJ I got an e-mail back from Hello! Arizona saying they would like to offer me the position. I was shocked! I didn't think the interview went bad, but it just didn't seem as great as past interviews I have had. I still went to PJ with an open mind though and had an unofficial interview with them. Jess gave me a tour of the place and they talked over the responsibilities of how it would be mainly accounting, & customer service stuff. A perk to working there is it is good pay, and a pretty chill and low key environment, and it is close to home. After leaving there I was completely torn on which place I would like to work. Pros to Hello! were: its what I went to school for, its a GREAT company that will give me so many avenues to run with, they have locations in 4 other states if I ever wanted a position at a different office, there is a lot of room for growth, and I will get to be assisting in what I love and have sacrificed & spent a lot of $$ going to school for. Cons to Hello!: The drive is far, it is $2.50/hr less pay then PJ, they are more strict on hours, probably wont be able to be as busy with wedding video stuff.
Now the Pros to Papa Johns: close to home, easy job, better pay, more lenient hours. Cons to Papa Johns: wouldn't be working in a position I am passionate about, it would not help open up doors to other professionals in the event planning industry, the potential for growth is there but not necessarily in what I would like to end up doing in the long run. After discussing with my parents and current supervisor it came down to taking a job with more money, or a job that I am actually passionate about and can see a lot of potential for growing with the company. I decided in the long run Hello! Arizona is where I should be and they will help get me to where I want to be in a few years and that the sacrifice of a not taking a higher paying job would lead to better job satisfaction. Here I am thinking I was going to be jobless for who knows how long and now I have a full time job! Its a little scary. You all know how much I love my free time to wakeboard/snowboard and go on trips and weekend getaways so this adjustment to real life is going to be tough for me. But I know I have to do it, and that hopefully someday I can return to that old lifestyle of play play play :) Anyways I start December 19th at Hello! and then ADI is paying me from Dec. 2nd-Dec. 16th to work for them and then I officially graduate on the 17th! I'll have one day to relax (aka go snowboarding) before I have to settle down for a while.

I have an array of all different emotions right now as I close this college chapter of my life. I have absolutely loved my college experience and wish I could of been involved even more. Last Friday I went to the Hip Hop Club event and they taught us a dance. It was SO fun and the club members were a blast. I can only imagine all the fun (and missionary opportunities) I could of had if I joined this club from the beginning. One piece of advice I recommend to all those starting college or even in their first few years, GET INVOLVED!! It makes everything so much better. Anyways life is good, God answers prayers and he has blessed my life tremendously. I cannot thank him enough for the incredible life he has given me. I often wonder why am I so lucky to have what I have. What makes me different than those who are suffering so much. It truly is a miracle and I know without a doubt he is keenly aware of my every need and desire and having that knowledge gives me the strength to carry on and move forward every day.
This article is going straight to the top of my person New York Times Bestseller list
ReplyDeleteHahaha Kyle… can't wait to see it on headline news :)
DeleteI'm so happy you got the job!! Congrats! You are amazing!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenn! I am stoked!! :)
Delete