Woodhall Baptism

One AMAZING Day: September 13th, 2014 was the best day of my life. A true miracle had happened. MY Nanna & Papa Woodhall were baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Can you believe that? 80 years young and they now decide to be apart of such goodness. It has been almost 30 years since my mom joined the church and for their hearts to be soften, and to accept the gospel into their lives. As most of you know Nanna and Papa have been on board to get baptized ever since they walked out of the Gilbert Temple Open House. We saw many miracles from that point on to get to the day of baptism. It has been such a wonderful experience to be apart of the whole conversion process. Meeting with the missionaries every week, seeing a new principle click in their head, the excitement they had every week to learn and understand long time questions they have had about life. It was such an incredible journey to be apart of and I am extremely grateful I was old enough to appreciate this experience, and I know I will be able to look back on it for strength when needed.

The day of the baptism felt so unreal. I kind of felt like a zombie walking around because I don’t think it really clicked yet. I had been praying for this day to come for YEARS and the fact that it was actually happening felt like a dream. We got to the church building and Nanna & Papa were there nervous, anxious and excited. (Side note: Nanna is PETRIFIED of Water, and leading up to this day we have all been nervous about how she was going to handle being in the water. We were not allowed to talk about it in front of her so she didn’t have to think about it).  With that said, we found the elders and went to the baptismal area and Mom, Nanna and I walked through the hall and the font was on the left and Nanna took one look at it and had a panic attack! She ran the other way crying and said, “I can’t do it, I’m terrified of water, I don’t want to drown, you can’t make me get in there. I just want to join the church another way, please don’t be mad at me”. My mom and were shocked, I had no idea her fear of water was that BIG! My heart sunk and I began to get really nervous as to what we were going to do, because I believed her and I didn’t think there was any way she was going to get in that water. It broke my heart seeing her cry about this because she kept saying, “I know the church is true, I believe, and I want to be apart of it, but I can’t get in the water I’m petrified”. My mom and I managed to get her in the changing room and were able to calm her down and tell her that the water is NOT deep. You can stand in it, there is no way to drown, Trennon will be holding onto you, and this is Satan getting in your head, and using your fear of water to get in the way of making this covenant with God. After calming her down she relaxed and wasn’t as afraid and got in her jumpsuit (she looked adorable by the way). The 3 of us then held each other as mom offered a prayer that her anxiety and fear would be taken away, and that she would be able to enter the waters of baptism and understand why it had to be done by fully submerging herself under water. We told her that we both had faith that this prayer would be answered and I asked her if she did too? Because that’s what HF wants to see. She said she did and we then proceeded forward to the hallway. As people began to show up, my emotions were all over the place and the tears couldn’t stop coming! I kept praying in my heart that Nanna would be able to get in the water, and the scene of her panicking was on repeat in my mind and I did not want to see that happen again when it was actually time to get in the water.  We took some family pictures and then it was show time! Bryton started by singing I Am A Child of God with Blake on the Piano. I then spoke about Baptism, then Sandy Malay sang, then Mom spoke on the Holy Ghost. After the program the spirit was very strong in the room and I felt confident that Nanna & Papa were both ready to get in the water and that Heavenly Father did indeed calm my Nanna’s anxiety down. She had a whole new countenance in her face. We got back to the water and the moment I was so nervous about was here… would Nanna overcome her fear and get in the water. Trennon showed her a picture of Christ before they both got in and he said “Nanna, look at this picture of Jesus, when we are in there, close your eyes and think of this picture when you go under. You can do it!” Next thing I know I see her walking down the steps and in her cute British accent, “oh it’s warm, and I can stand!” Haha she always knows how to entertain. They then opened up the doors and there she was, in the WATER, dressed in white, looking beautiful as ever and so clean and pure. I knelt on the ground to where she could see me, and I had the BIGGEST grin on my face the whole time, and I kept giving her a thumbs up letting her know she could do this and that I was SO proud. Trennon said the prayer, she took a deep breath and under she went without resistance. When she came up she did a little “oo hoo”, and looked at everyone all excited, running in place and proud of herself that she DID IT! She quickly got out and you could hear her say, “it wasn’t even that bad!!” Haha she was so funny! Then it was Papa’s turn! Brad got to baptize him, which was really neat! When Papa got in he looked at everyone and gave them all a wave (he loves being the funny guy) everyone giggled and then it was his turn to go under. When he got up he let out a “woo” in a tone as if, “alriighttt I did it”, and then waved again to everyone. Both of them did wonderful and we got many comments saying how awesome of a baptism that was. Mom and I went into the Bathroom with Nanna and she was talking up a storm and saying the best things! Then mom grabbed me and gave me a big bear hug and said, “thank you Trell, its all cause of you and your faith!” I began to cry and said, “No mom, you were the one to join 30 years ago, its all because of YOU!” and we had a really special moment hugging with tears of joy flooding out of our eyes. We quickly helped Nanna get ready and she looked dynamite and Papa took his sweet time to get done changing, Bishop Wirthlin then welcomed them to the ward and President Ballard then came down and had them stand up and look at everyone who came to support them. Papa felt the need to thank everyone himself and gave a little speech. He is the best! Then he gave them a picture of Christ and they were THRILLED to get that. We then had a little open house after at our place to eat and talk some more and celebrate this amazing occasion for two of my favorite people! It has been so great to see the excitement my Nanna has with her right now. She sent the sweetest e-mail to my mom the other day saying, “thank you so much for helping me find the TRUE church of Jesus Christ. So many questions that I have had for years have been answered by the doctrine and I feel at peace and happy! She then said the place she thinks she will get hired at isn’t open on Sundays so she wont have to miss church, which she was glad about and a huge blessing! It has been a week since this incredible day and I cannot thank my Heavenly Father enough for listening and answering my prayers, along with many others. My testimony has been strengthened tremendously throughout this whole process and I am extremely grateful for this experience and to see two people who I love dearly come unto Christ and accept HIS gospel.
                                          
Other shenanigans that have happened this month was Labor day weekend, about 25 of us went up to the Law’s cabin in Heber AZ. It was an absolute blast! We played volleyball, kickball, had a limbo contest, jumping contest, hiked box canyon, ate lots of food, and just had a too much fun being out of the heat and hanging out as friends!

I had to come home early Saturday from the hike to make it to my Grandma & Grandpa’s 60th Anniversary Party! Grandma reserved a church building and had Joe’s BBQ caterer the food and then had carnival games for the great grandkids to participate in. Then we had a dance party! Before the party I was nervous how that would work out because I never really see my aunts, uncles, and cousins dance. At most of the cousins wedding receptions I never see them dance for more than 1 or 2 songs. I was nervous the dancing portion of the night would be a bust and not many people would get out there. Wellllll… that was not the case at all. Everyone was out there having a great time and letting loose on the dance floor! We even got Grandma & Grandpa to do the cupid shuffle! The whole night was SO much fun and we all decided we need to have family dance parties more often! I am grateful for Grandma & Grandpa’s great example of being faithful to each other and to the Gospel over the years and glad we all got to celebrate this wonderful accomplishment. You can check out the video I put together of the party HERE!
                           
 So this post was all about my grandparents, which is cool, because they are awesome! I am so lucky to have had 23 years on this earth with all 4 of them! They have all taught me so much, shown unconditional love, and supported me in everything! Can’t wait for more memories to be made with them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September First Camping Trip with Myla

Now What?

October Beginning of Holidays