Saying Goodbye


Saying goodbye is something I really struggle with. I have a hard time with change when something good is coming to an end. Hawaii, Ecuador, EFY summers, and Belize were all such incredible experiences and when I had to leave it all behind and return home, I cried my eyes out on all those plane rides. I just have a hard time letting go of these experiences that have changed me and helped me become a better person. I get so immersed in the culture and become friends with the people and I think the saddest thing for me is not knowing when I will be able to make it back to the location and see my friends again. This new goodbye is not one from a foreign country but is simply a goodbye from the greatest calling I have ever had. That is serving on the council for the Tempe LDS Institute. I know I wrote about it in December when I thought my time was over but little did I know then, that they were keeping me for one more semester. I honestly don't know if I could of made it through these past two months without the strength and comfort I felt every week from Brother Calton and my fellow council friends. This calling helped make the transition from school to the workforce bearable. Like I mentioned above, I don't like unknown change and saying goodbyes to situations that I feel comfortable in. Starting the real world life was terrifying as I knew it would be a complete life style change and I wouldn't be able to take off every summer to go travel and serve. I knew it was going to be hard to buckle down and take on responsibility like an adult. I didn't think I was quiet ready for this lifestyle change, but because I was still on council and on campus twice a week assisting with the concerns of students and planning activities that would help bring them closer to Christ I was able to manage this huge change. Having apart of me on campus and in the college life helped feel like I didn't completely jump the ship and leave it all behind. Now that I have been working for 4 months and got through the hardest part I think I will be able to move on and manage this new life. I absolutely loved college and all the amazing experiences I embarked on. I couldn't have done it without all the support of loved ones and amazing parents who let me do what I knew was best for my individual progression. Monday was our last meeting and I cried myself to sleep Sunday night knowing this was it, the little piece of college and student life I kept with me for an extra 4 months is now going to be over and I can't buy any more time. I am sure going to miss the insights and lessons I learned every week from the spiritual giants that were surrounding me. I am grateful that Heavenly Father gave me that experience and prepared me to become a stronger disciple of Christ so I can stand strong on my own in the work world where I am not surrounded by members and the extra weekly reminders.
Anyways enough of that sappy story that no one cares about... April has been a little dull, not much happening, EXCEPT Anne came to visit and it was SO fun hanging out with her for the night! :) Oooo I also did go to the lake and got back on a wakeboard! I felt like it was Christmas morning! Work surprised us and gave half the office good Friday off and half the office Monday after Easter off so I took Friday and immediately texted the Skousen's and said if you guys are planning to go to the lake at all this week.. I can go Friday ;) ;). Being the saints that they are they said alright that works! I was giddy for the rest of the week and so excited to get back out there. Friday came and we got to the lake and it was pretty crowded... and we realized schools had the day off too. We were pretty bummed about that since no one likes to wakeboard on a crowded lake. But it was still a fun day and I didn't do as bad as I thought I would, but I for sure was a lot weaker than I ever remember. I was worn out afterwards and I didn't even go as long as I usually do. I partially blame the choppy water for taking more energy out of me, but it definitely was a reality check that I need to go to the gym more. Then I got a Massage, then did the St. Martin Interviews for their love story and then saw Divergent with my mom. That night I told my mom that today was like my ideal day if I didn't work full time. If I could do video stuff full time this is what most my days would probably look like. It was cool to kind of have a sample into what my dream day could someday be like :) Saturday I helped the Bouldin's move and then went to video Cheyenne and Bruce for her fundraiser she is starting to raise money for her tournaments this summer on her road to the LPGA. Embarrassing story... so Friday I hurt my foot wakeboarding didn't think much of it and just thought it was sore, then while I am videoing I am running up to catch up to Cheyenne & Bruce and fell in a pot hole and rolled my right ankle! So that's not that funny or embarrassing, but when I got home I saw there was a lot of sky footage and I was curious as to why I videoed the sky so much... well turns out I had the camera on when I rolled my ankle and the commentary between me falling and Cheyenne & Bruce asking if I was okay is pretty hilarious and quite embarrassing. I replayed the scene about 10 times and laughed hysterically every time and brought my parents into watch multiple times as well. So there I was trying to finish this shoot with one bum ankle and one bum foot. Not the most ideal situation to video with but we got the job done! I am so so so so so so excited for Cheyenne and her adventure this summer! I am very confident in her and her ability to make it into Q school for the LPGA. She has so much talent and drive to succeed its unreal! So if any of you guys want to support local talent and help this amazing girl reach her dream of becoming a player on the LPGA check out her fundraising campaign!
                     
Easter was pretty special this year. Brother Calton had the idea of turning the east chapel into a Tomb like atmosphere and to create a personal Easter experience for the students. I assisted in helping set it up early Tuesday morning and when you walked in, there was the Because of Him video to start followed by a talk by Holland, and one other one which I think was Monson... after that you could go do something for Him and we had thank you cards set up for individuals to write to anyone. Then we had the chapel open where you could read some of the handouts and ponder about Easter and the true meaning of it. This was an incredible kick start to my Easter preparation and knew I wanted to study even more. Sunday morning I had a great study and used the handouts and such to dig a little deeper and I knew I wanted my family to have a similar experience. Usually Sundays at my house, the sports channels are on and everyone is doing their own thing which isn't bad, but I hate the feeling of it, so I hide upstairs in my room and read the Ensign or other talks to try and maintain the spirit that was felt at church. Being Easter Sunday I wanted to challenge my family to make this Sunday a little different. I prepared a one page sheet that told them I had a challenge for them on this Easter Sunday and gave them a bunch of talks and videos to watch and told them that this is the LEAST we could do for HIM on this special day. I taped it to the garage door before I went to church hoping that they would have a edifying experience like I had myself. Church was great and when I came home I was hesitant to open the door not knowing if my family took me seriously or not... As I walk in I hear Elder Holland's voice on the TV and it put the biggest grin on my face hearing that instead of ESPN. I walked in all happy to see them and glad to see they took my challenge seriously. They thanked me for doing that for them and it even continued on at my Nanna & Papa's house that night. We didn't turn the TV on and just enjoyed each others company. Like how Sunday's should be. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September First Camping Trip with Myla

Now What?

October Beginning of Holidays